Week #13

Black Panther (2016) by Coates, Stelfreeze, and Martin


This week I read Black Panther (2016). Last year I watched the movie multiple times as I loved it so much, so it was interesting to read its comic. 
First of all, I loved its beautiful art although I kind of miss the old-fashion texture of classic superhero comics at the same time. My favorite part of its art is the use of color; since several different tribes are depicted in Black Panther, the color really enhances their difference and uniqueness. The first page (before “You have lost your soul”) is such a great illustration and excited me to read this comic from the beginning; In this page, three colors -blue, green, and red- show each groups and in the foreground, T’challa’s black costume contrasts with those colors. Though the comic is new, I like that the use of contrast between shadow and light (a big area of shadow, sometimes whole figure is in silhouette) still look classic. The way they use geometric patterns on the character’s silhouette is beautiful. 

Regarding Black Panther’s story and character, it is very liberal not only limited to that he is African American superhero but also it is empowering women and depicting lesbian couple. I like how Black Panther includes both of such liberal ideas and classic ideas such as death in family, conflicts of the king, and so on. By reading Batman The Killing Joke, I felt a big contrast with Black Panther especially because of their treatment of female characters.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week #14

Week #1

Another recommendation -The Dam Keeper-