Week #14

Webcomics - Ojisama to Neko -


Link to Ojisama to Neko:

This week I read couple webcomics including this flash comic recommended on the course website (https://www.deviantart.com/balak01/art/about-DIGITAL-COMICS-111966969), My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness by Nagata Kabi, and Ojisama to Neko by Umi Sakurai. My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness and Ojisama to Neko both started as webcomic (on Pixiv/Twitter) posted irregularly and not really meant to be published; however, these became so popular online and eventually they are published as comic books. Maybe due to their origin, they are“slice of life” type of story which doesn’t have a big climax or conflict, but I really liked both of them; their stories are very specific and personal, and have mixture of comedy and emotional elements. My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness has deep personal experience and thought, (which I didn’t expect from its title!) and above all, it is really honest about not only her physical experience but also psychological experience; I was so impressed by this because I think exposing such personal thought and depression is even harder than showing physical experience. But she revealed both, and I feel that her comic will encourage a lot of people. The interesting thing is that despite of its subject matter, her art style and storytelling makes the comic cute and comical, and doesn’t make it look inappropriate. 

- Review for Ojisama to Neko -

I recommend this webcomic for everyone, especially cat lovers! I found this comic online this week but I read everything in one sitting. It is not only cute cat comic but also sometimes emotional as Ojisama (the owner) and Fukumaru (cat) both have a sense of loneliness from the past. It is heartwarming that they cure their loneliness each other. And the depiction of cat is based on real observation and thus I can relate to a lot of episodes. I love the episode “Ojisama Goes Shopping”; the line “recalling someone’s expression when shopping can be fun… Things don’t go how I expected them to. Even so I’m happy” is my favorite. It applies not only to cat but to anyone/any pet we love.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week #1

Another recommendation -The Dam Keeper-